Saturday, March 26, 2011

Warm Lentil Salad

Dinner on Day 3 got our hopes up again. We made a warm lentil salad and it was delicious.
First I thought I'd share with you a minor tofu mishap I had at lunch:
I was making a sandwich and I thought I'd use up some of the leftover tofu we had so I got my sandwich all ready while it was cooking with some hummus and fresh veggies but when I went to put on my slice of tofu the disaster occurred. Luckily I had more and the dog wasn't interested but it was still funny.

Onto this Lentil Salad...

The recipe I had called for 2 cups cooked lentils but when I went to the cupboard I only had 1/2 cup dried lentils so I substituted half brown rice and it was awesome so you could use either. 

You will need:

  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cups cooked lentils ( or 1 cup lentils, 1 cup brown rice)
  • 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp spicy mustard
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
  • 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
  • 2 Tbsp chopped mint
  • 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
  • optional crumbled feta


To Prepare:
  1. Cook rice as directed
  2. While rice is cooking, chop onion
  3. When rice has about 20 minutes left, add lentils with equal amount of water; along with vinegar, mustard and onion
  4. Once cooked through (about 20 minutes) add pistachios, cherries / cranberries, mint and parsley
  5. Season with salt and pepper, top with crumbled feta and serve




Here is the final product:
This dish really got us more excited about the no meat thing. It was filling, with a good combination of salty, sweet, tangy and crunchy. We'll definitely be eating this again and I recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment