Dinner on Day 3 got our hopes up again. We made a warm lentil salad and it was delicious.
First I thought I'd share with you a minor tofu mishap I had at lunch:
I was making a sandwich and I thought I'd use up some of the leftover tofu we had so I got my sandwich all ready while it was cooking with some hummus and fresh veggies but when I went to put on my slice of tofu the disaster occurred. Luckily I had more and the dog wasn't interested but it was still funny.
Onto this Lentil Salad...
The recipe I had called for 2 cups cooked lentils but when I went to the cupboard I only had 1/2 cup dried lentils so I substituted half brown rice and it was awesome so you could use either.
You will need:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked lentils ( or 1 cup lentils, 1 cup brown rice)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp spicy mustard
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
- 2 Tbsp chopped mint
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- optional crumbled feta
- Cook rice as directed
- While rice is cooking, chop onion
- When rice has about 20 minutes left, add lentils with equal amount of water; along with vinegar, mustard and onion
- Once cooked through (about 20 minutes) add pistachios, cherries / cranberries, mint and parsley
- Season with salt and pepper, top with crumbled feta and serve
Here is the final product:
This dish really got us more excited about the no meat thing. It was filling, with a good combination of salty, sweet, tangy and crunchy. We'll definitely be eating this again and I recommend it to everyone.