Sunday, March 20, 2011

Antibacterial Soap

There is a lot of controversy surrounding the use of household antibacterial cleaners. They are made to keep your house and body free from harmful bacteria, but often they are harmful in themselves (they are intended to kill bacteria after all). One problem is that they kill all bacteria, so when you come back into contact with dangerous bacteria there is no defense to protect you from it. Another problem is the evidence that common ingredients used, like triclosan, are harmful to our bodies and the environment; but many common diseases are viral and cannot be prevented by antibacterial products anyway (Priesnitz).

Of course places like hospitals and restaurants need to clean and disinfect to keep people safe but for most healthy people your home is better off without these chemicals.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Pure-Castile Soap, 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint, 32-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2)
As you all know, I try to keep my home and my body as free from synthetic chemicals as possible. I did a post on the wonders of Dr. Bronner's Sals Suds not too long ago and today I'd like to tell you all about the wonders of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps

These soaps are vegetable based castile soaps which have been around for a very long time. They have retained glycerin so they are much less drying than many soaps without added junk. 

These can be used for just about any household job but I like them most for bathing and hand soap. They come very concentrated so you'll probably have to dilute before using.

Culligan RDSH-C115 RainDisc Shower Head with Filter, Chrome Finish In the shower I dilute it 1:1 in an empty container and use it to wash head to toe. My skin stays soft and I rarely need extra moisturizer. It works wonders as a face wash because it is oil based; it removes makeup easily but you don't get that tight feeling afterwards. My skin has also cleared up tremendously and I am giving credit to the soap. 

RSVP Acrylic Foaming Soap PumpIn my bathrooms I dilute it in an old foaming soap dispenser, filling the dispenser with 3/4 water and 1/4 soap. I buy the unscented and add essential oils myself, but many are available. 

If you still can't kick the antibacterial habit there is lavender, tea tree, peppermint and eucalyptus scents which all have antibacterial properties without the risk of harming your body, the environment or creating super germs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment