Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Roast, Potatoes and Artichoke

While grocery shopping last week, my husband picked out a pre-seasoned, pre-marinated roast (grass-fed, no antibiotics, minimally processed... all the good stuff) and I decided to put it in the crock pot yesterday with some potatoes. 


When most people have roast and potatoes... that's the meal: roast and potatoes. What happens when you don't want roast? Just potatoes for dinner? That doesn't sound right! So began my search for something I could throw in the crock pot that would be just as delicious and veggie friendly. Lo and behold: artichokes. 


Artichokes have become one of my favorite foods; they're versatile, nutritious, and (as I found out yesterday) can cook all day and not turn into a giant pile of mush. 


Since the roast was already seasoned I didn't do a thing to it I just tossed it in the crock pot with about a cup of water. I washed and quartered about 6 red potatoes and threw them in with it. 


This recipe is mostly about the artichokes, and if you've never had them: I suggest you try this tonight.


You will need:

  • a few whole artichokes (2-4)
  • olive oil
  • pesto
  • minced garlic
  • salt
  • pepper



Roast, potatoes, and artichoke



What to do:

  1. Wash the artichokes and cut off most of the stem, leaving 1/2 to 1 inch.
  2. Cut off the top inch of the leafy part.
  3. Take a kitchen scissors, clean regular scissors or small knife and cut of the prickly tips of the remaining leaves. I wish I would have taken a picture of this part. It's just prettier and more pleasant to eat if you're not getting stabbed by your food. 
  4. Pull the leaves outward to spread them apart.
  5. Between the leaves, spread a little pesto and/or minced garlic.
  6. Place them stem-side down in the crock pot.
  7. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  8. Cook entire contents on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.



Artichoke, potatoes, and hummus
To eat:
How in the world to you eat artichoke?

  1. Pull the leaves off one at a time and bite down. 
  2. Use your teeth to drag the "meaty" flesh off the inside and discard the tough leaf. 
  3. Since these are seasoned they're great plain but I like to dip them in some tzatziki sauce or hummus.
Tzatziki is a greek sauce commonly served on gyros and sometimes better known in America as cucumber-dill sauce. I might have to do a post on that all on its own - it's amazing.





I don't know why I haven't posted any pictures of the babies (dogs) on here! My camera is full of them. I thought this was too funny not to share.

While I was cutting the potatoes yesterday, one piece fell on the floor. The puppy who will eat anything ran in and snatched it up. 10 minutes later I hear her playing in the other room. I hear her throwing things and jumping all over: she frequently plays fetch by herself with her toys. 

I go check on her and she's playing with the potato! She'd throw it and tackle it, and toss it in the air and try to catch it. I had to take a picture to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment