Monday, September 5, 2011

Back to Cooking!

So our roadtrip eating adventure was not as exciting as I had planned. We snacked during the day and usually ate a sub sandwich late in the afternoon. It was all delicious but not very noteworthy.
This, however, was an awesome trail mix I picked up at a truck stop in California and thought it was worth mentioning. It was a house mix of raw pumpkin seeds, raw sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, raisins, peanuts, and I don't remember what else. I was impressed with it and had to share. 

Back to reality! We are home, unpacked and ready to start cooking again (YAY) so I am posting our first home cooked meal in the new house.

I did something simple since we don't have a ton of staples that one acquires over time. Here I present: Kung Pao chicken stir fry over noodles.

 You will need:

  • Oil
  • Noodles
  • Stir-fry vegetables
  • Chicken
  • Eggs (optional)
  • Seasoning packet (Kung Pao)
Simply Asia Stir Fry Sauce, Kung Pao, 6 Units 4.43 oz



What to do:

  1. Boil water in a pot for the noodles.
  2. Heat skillet or grill and add fresh chicken breast, season to taste. 
  3. In a skillet, heat oil (I used sesame for the first time). Once hot, crack eggs one a a time and scramble briefly. 
  4. Add noodles to boiling water. 
  5. Add fresh or frozen veggies, cook until heated through and egg is completely cooked. 
  6. Mix sauce according to directions.
  7. Serve noodles topped with veggies, chicken, and sauce.



 We now live 2 minutes from a Trader Joe's and I am in love with that place! The vegetables I used were a fresh mix from there and fresh trumps frozen any day of the week.

It's late in the season for starting a garden but hopefully next year many of these veggies will be home-grown. Until then, it will probably be TJ's veggies and meat.

We also do not have a microwave at the moment (I would like to postpone it for as long as I can) so some recipes might involve doing things the "long way" so if you want to zap stuff go for it, I will make note of shortcuts if I catch them.

Hope you all enjoyed your summer! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment