What You Need:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup steel cut oats ("Old fashioned")
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (or substitute)
- 1 egg (or: 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup egg beaters, 1 tablespoon powdered egg replacement)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup organic milk (or soy, rice, almond)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (or 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix applesauce, egg, milk, vanilla, and other extracts if you're using them.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut/almonds if you're using them.
- Either grease the pan or use muffin liners and spoon mixture evenly into muffin tin.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
Please note that these will not rise up to be gigantic topped muffins you're used to. The whole wheat flour and oatmeal make them less fluffy and more dense. If you need fluffy muffins you can use half white flour, half wheat and use quick cooking oats instead of steel cut.
These muffins are way better than your average muffin because they are not only tasty but using whole grains and skipping the oil helps pack in a good amount of protein, fiber, and nutrients so you won't be hungry or tired an hour after you eat.