Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bed Snack

This recipe was one my parents used to make when I was growing up. It's so simple and tasty I just had to share it.


When I was little, my parents would read a book to my brother, my sister and me while we ate a snack before bed. This snack we admirably named "Bed Snack" was made for us once in a while and was always our favorite.


All you'll need:
  • Regular sized marshmallows
  • Crackers
Kashi TLC Crackers, Original 7 Grain, 9-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
    My parents made them with plain old saltines but I wouldn't pass up the chance to incorporate a few more whole grains so I used kashi 7 grain crackers. The whole grains help to lower the glycemic index since marshmallows have an alarming amount of sugar in them. The package I bought listed a serving as 4 mallows with each serving having 19 grams of sugar! Topping a carby cracker with a gooey mound of sugar probably isn't the best idea before bed so this might make a better mid-afternoon snack... especially if you're feeding it to your children.



    What to do:
    1. Preheat the oven to about 300
    2. Lay out the crackers on a cookie sheet or pizza pan and top each cracker with a marshmallow. Be sure to center the mallow because they puff up in the oven and if it slides off you'll have a gooey mess.
    3. Bake until the marshmallows are puffed up and light golden brown on top - about 5 minutes.
    4. Remove and allow to cool before eating.

    This is an easy one for the kids to help with (not putting them in or taking them out of the oven, of course) and they will love watching the marshmallows grow as they cook. People of all ages love a good sweet, salty, crunchy, melty treat once in a while!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment