Thursday, February 10, 2011

Italian Wedding Soup

Today was a gloomy dreary day and there's nothing I like better on such a day than some good home made soup. Tonight I made a really easy variation of Italian Wedding soup - traditionally a clear broth soup made with meatballs and greens.


I don't eat meatballs but of course you can add them if you like, whether you use pre-made or home-made, beef ore turkey that's your call. I actually used a kielbasa flavored tofu sliced up. Other than your meat of choice, all that is needed is:
  • 6-8 cups Base or Broth
  • 1 cup uncooked Grain
  • 1-2 cups Greens
You can customize it however else you like, adding spices or vegetables. I started with a little chopped onion, a few small red potatoes, quartered, and some italian spices.

Melt a tablespoon of butter in the bottom of a stock pot and added the onion, potatoes and seasoning. After the onion begins to brown, add about 6-8 cups of broth. I use instant vegebase but any low-sodium beef or chicken broth works.

Bring the broth to a boil and add your ingredients. I use long grain brown rice but orzo, small noodles, and lentils also work well here. Cooking it in the broth adds flavor. I also added about a half cup each of pre-soaked dried chickpeas and navy beans for extra protein and fiber. I'm all about packing the most nutritional content possible into a dish. For greens I used a small package of frozen spinach.

Reduce the heat and let simmer for at least 1 hour, until the meat of your choice is cooked through.



Ta-Da! Easy peasy delicious homemade soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment